Sunday, July 17, 2011

Art Buffet 3





On the second sheet of paper (shown above), I layered yellow, and then over that, gold. I really liked the way it looked and hesitated what to do next. I checked out my quote collection and found a great Mark Twain quote, and decided to use that as my theme: Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth. It sounded pretty unlike Mark Twain, but I could not find it disproved in an internet search. So next I wrote words from the quote down the left side in masking fluid: dance, sing, love and live, using several styles. I got a little carried away and made a very big "D". I used a rubber brayer to add some red. In the lower left I added some gesso over a piece of painter's spackling tape, and in the upper right corner, I used the same tape with some masking fluid. I also wrote more of the quote, selecting phrases: no one is watching, no one is listening, you've never been hurt and it's heaven on earth - that was to the right of the "D". Under the "D" I wrote Watch, Listen, Love and live. I filled in the center of the"D" with masking fluid, wanting to preserve the interesting red. Then I added a layer of blue paint, which turned out to be pretty dark. I was thinking that maybe I would letter the whole quote under the "D" as a final step. I decided to remove the masking fluid at this point. I was a little shocked at the bright contrast when the original yellow was revealed, and I was also disappointed that my small writing did not come through on the right and under the "D". I'm not exactly sure what to try next, so this piece is on hold.

No comments: